Wednesday, February 20, 2008

That Easter Morn

A preacher named Jean Tisserand is said to have written a hymn called "O Sons and Daughters of the King" in the late fifteenth century. Chi Chung, who has illustrated many children's books, has brought these words to life in That Easter Morn. Each verse to this hymn has been beautifully illustrated to tell the Easter story.

"O sons and daughters of the King,
Whom heavenly hosts in glory sing,
Today the grave has lost its sting!
Al-le-lu-ia!"

You can sing through this book, or you can read the words like a poem. At the back of the book is the piano music so that you can figure out the tune. My daughter loves to shout "Alleluia!" at the end of each verse.

What I like: I love to sing with my daughter, so I think that it is wonderful that this book is both a story and a song.

What I dislike: Although the pictures are beautiful, I wish there was a little more variety in the content. They may not grab the attention of younger children.

Overall Rating: Very good

Age Appeal: 2-6

Publisher Info: Concordia, 2007; ISBN:0758612648; Hardcover, $14.99.


Special Info: To see this hymn in its entirety, and to hear the melody, visit here.
Parents may want to be aware that there are four pictures of Jesus in this book.

No comments: