Saturday, December 29, 2007

Match & Learn: I Can Learn Bible Stories

I bought Match & Learn: I Can Learn Bible Stories as a Christmas gift for my nephew, but my son found it before it was wrapped. Before the end of the day, I had to buy another one to keep for ourselves!
Written by Gwen Ellis and illustrated by Dana Regan, this book contains five popular Bible stories: Creation; Noah and the ark; David and Goliath; Daniel in the lions’ den; and Jonah. Biblical references are provided with a short re-telling of each story. The illustrations are cartoon-like, bright and friendly.
This sturdy boardbook offers a unique feature: a spiral-bound top with flip cards. Children match ten different characters or story elements – Adam to Eve; Jonah to the whale, etc. Additional information about each character is given with their names on the backs of the previous cards.
What I Like: This book has LOTS of color! It's interactive and kid-friendly. I've struggled to get my 2-year-old interested in books about the Bible. He would much rather read about trucks and tractors. This book I can hardly pry from his hands! He loves it. I also like subtle color lesson. Each story has a colored border which coordinates with the cards. For example, the story of creation has a red border. At the top, the cards for Adam and Eve also have red borders. So if the child isn't sure which characters match, he can match the colors and still be right. The flip-top reinforces two skills at once.
What I Dislike: Nothing.
Overall Rating: Excellent.
Age Appeal: The book says 3-6, but I think 2-5 is more accurate.
Publisher Info: Kregel KidZone, 2006; ISBN: 0825455308; Spiral-bound Boardbook; $10.99
Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $8.99!
Or buy it at Amazon for $9.34.

No comments: