Saturday, October 6, 2007

What Happens When We Die?


What Happens When We Die, written by Carolyn Nystrom and illustrated by Eira Reeves, is the story of a little girl who unexpectedly witnesses a bird's death. The girl's mother comforts her and explains they must bury the bird. This only upsets her daughter more. With comforting arms and a patient heart, Mother explains death to her daughter. She answers many questions, such as:


"How long does being dead last?"
"How could I go to heaven if my body is in the ground?"
"Does it hurt to die?"
"Will my mom still be my mom in heaven?"

There are other questions as well. Mother does a wonderful job providing answers for her daughter. She tells how God does not want us to be dead forever. She explains this is why God sent His Son, Jesus. Mother goes on to explain the differences between our physical bodies and our souls.

The little girl keeps a feather from the bird, not as a reminder of its death, but as a reminder of life after death.

What I Like: I was pleasantly surprised. I had not expected this 29 page book to be as informative as it is. There are a few Bible verses used during Mother's explanations.

What I Dislike: Nothing. This is a wonderful book.

Overall Rating: Excellent!

Age Appeal: 5 and older.

Publishing Info: Moody Publishing 1992; Hardcover; ISBN:0802478557

Buy it now at Christianbook $1.99

No comments: