Thursday, August 16, 2007

I Can! and So Can You!

I Can! and So Can You! is not one, but four die-cut board books packaged together. Featuring Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber, Junior Asparagus and Laura Carrot, each book focuses on a different way God made us special. The main character shows things he can do, be and learn then encourages readers to think of what they can do because God made them special, too. The titles reveal the focus of each book.

Bob: I Can Do Many Things!
Larry: I Can Be Me!
Junior: I Can Have Fun!
Laura: I Can Learn!

All four books conclude with Psalm 139:14 -- "How you made me is amazing and wonderful!" (NRSV) These books are easy to read, thanks to short, rhyming verse. Like everything from VeggieTales, they are filled to the brim with vibrant colors.

What I Like: My kids LOVE these books! We got them for Isabel's first birthday. Now, more than two years later, she can "read" them herself (or to her little brother) because we've read them so many times together. The length is perfect for infants and toddlers. Each book has just the right amount of silliness with a valuable lesson. I also love the sturdiness of these books. They've survived two kids in my house. That's something spectacular.

What I Dislike: Nothing. Though, it would be great to have the same done for other characters like Pa Grape or Madame Blueberry.

Overall Rating: Excellent.

Age Appeal: Infant-Preschool

Publisher Info: ZonderKidz, 2004; ISBN: 0310708931; Board book; $12.99

Buy it Now at Christianbook.com for $9.99!


No comments: