Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Loretta's Children's Top 12 Favorite Books

When my children were toddlers and beginning school, they loved to be read to. Now, my nine year old daughter likes to pick books that will help her read better and overcome her fears. While my oldest daughter reads most anything, she likes self improvement books (and she's only 10!).

Have You Got My Purr? by Judy West.This was my six year old daughter's favorite book. This little kitten hears his mother make a purring sound and sets off to find his own purr. What the little kitten soon discovers is that he had it inside of him the entire time.

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. This is a fun book. My two girls loved to hear this book at bed time. They enjoyed it so much, they could say the rhyming words with me (without looking at the book).

Glad Monster Sad Monster by Ed E. Emberly. At first, I thought this was a scary book, but my children didn't think so. After reading it to my four and five year old girls, they fell in love with all of the different colored monsters, who have the same feelings as we do. There are pages that unfold to be used as masks. My children liked to make monster sounds that imitated the monsters feelings (happy monsters: they laughed; sad monsters: they boo-hooed; angry monsters: they growled.) This book also helped my children to not be afraid of monsters.

More Parts by Ted Arnold. Have you ever thought about what goes through your children's minds when you tell them something will "crack you up?" I didn't either, until I read this to my girls. The message is, you can't take everything literally. It's hilarious!

Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell. There's nothing wrong with being small and having buck teeth, as long as you have the right attitude. Love yourself and the world will love you. My youngest daughter could relate to this.

I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont. This little girl likes her self exactly the way she is. Inside and out, and she isn't bothered by the way others may see her.

Mouses Hide-and-Seek Words by Kathryn Heling. My five year old had a difficult time learning how to read. When we found this book of rhyme, she didn't want to put it down. Great for beginner readers.

Jubal's Wish by Audrey Wood. My seven year old daughter bought this book. Jubal (a bullfrog) is looking for neighbors to have a picnic with, but everyone he asks is unhappy. Jubal makes a wish for his friends to be as happy as he is. Just when he thought his wish didn't work, disaster strikes and his neighbors pull together to save Jubal.

My Little Pony (Storybook Collection) by Ann Marie Capalija, Kate Egan, Jodi Huelin, and Namrata Tripathi. My youngest daughter loved these ponies, so we bought this for her sixth birthday. These well known little ponies are always up to something good. There are seven pages to introduce the little ponies and seven entertaining stories.

Night House Bright House by Monica Wellington. An interesting book of things you could find lying around in each room of your house. Rhymes. Word/picture association. My children took turns reading this book one page at a time.

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey. This story was one of my childhood favorites and my children loved it, too. This puppy and his four brothers and sisters go against their mothers warnings and dig holes under a fence to go expoloring. When it's time to go home, mother is waiting.

Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss. An Elephant named Horton hears a tiny voice coming from a small speck of dust. The other animals do not believe him. Horton tries to save his little friend because he believes a person is a person, no matter how small.

No comments: