Monday, March 12, 2007

The Best Thing About Easter

The Best Thing About Easter, written by Christine Harder Tangvald, talks about all the things children like about Easter in a typical household: painting and hunting Easter eggs; getting Easter baskets full of candy; playing with bunnies, chicks and ducklings; and dressing up in their best clothes on Easter Sunday morning. There is no mention, until the last third of the book, of anything remotely religious about Easter.

However, once you get to the "best" thing about Easter, the topic is covered quite thoroughly. The author tells about Jesus' and His life, His death, and His resurection. The last page in the book reads: ". . . The best thing about Easter is Jesus! I'm glad Jesus loves me! I'm really, really glad, aren't you?"

What I like: I like the illustrations. C. A. Nobens, the illustrator, has filled the book with cheerful, bright pages that will delight children and adults alike. I also appreciated the depth the author went into about Jesus' life and God's plan for His Son, once you get to that part of the book.

What I Dislike: Before I read the book, I thought it would be mostly about the story of Jesus. I think the author gives too much attention to the secular aspects of the holiday (Easter eggs, baskets and candy). The "best" thing about Easter shouldn't be reserved for the last part of the book.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: 4-8.

Publishing Info: Standard Publishing Company, 2003; ISBN 9784712859; hardback; $7.99.


No comments: